Toddler (18 – 36 months)
Central Montessori Academy opened our Toddler Program (18 – 36 months) in August 2018!
Toddler (18 months – 36 months)
The Montessori toddler environment is designed to support the curiosity and exploration of the young child. The toddler space encourages and supports independence, self-care skills, developing order and concentration. Central Montessori Academy understands that for many toddlers this will be their first experience away from home. The toddler environment provides a nurturing place where the child builds relationships with teachers. Central Montessori Academy has a lead teacher, who has both an Early Childhood Education Master degree and holds an American Montessori Society (AMS) certification in infant/toddler. The classroom has two assistants and the child to adult ratio is 1:6.
Learn more about the Toddler Staff here.
DEVELOPMENTAL NOTES: 18 months – 36 months:
The main developmental needs of a toddler are self-care, movement and language. The toddler environment provides an engaging space where the child can be independent and fulfill their own curiosity in a space specifically designed for them.
- Self-care: One of the largest milestones of this age group is mastering toileting. A child is ready for the toddler environment when they are interested in working on toilet training. Toddlers in this program must be in pull-ups or underwear but do not need to be potty-trained.
Toddlers are also interested in doing things on their own, the long work cycle and few transitions will allow longer periods of time for children to be independent in dressing themselves, cleaning up or preparing for meals. The supportive adults in the environment will offer encouragement and help when the child needs it or asks for it.
- Movement: Children strengthen their gross motor skills and coordination through a variety of activities within the classroom and in the outside environment. Some activities include climbing, balancing, scrubbing and pouring.
- Language: The toddler program has a language-rich environment. Toddlers understand, but are not always able to verbalize. The environment has hands on activities that reinforce vocabulary and language development. Toddlers also build language through reading, singing and rhyming activities.
- Routine: Toddlers need routine and repetition to feel comfortable and trust the adults in the environment. The classroom space will provide a consistent and age-appropriate routine with few transitions to allow for children to build self-esteem and to initiate their own curiosity and learning interests.
OUR TODDLER CLASSROOM:
- Warm, friendly and nurturing staff
- The classroom space offers a home-like environment
- A range of stimulating educational materials
- The use of sign language to aid these very young children in their communication skills.
- Classroom environment is customized for the individual students to allow them to learn and be independent.
- Multi-hour, uninterrupted work time, which supports the young child’s development and allows the child to explore their own interests.
- Individualized attention from adults
- Lessons in practical life, setting a table, toileting, changing and putting things away.
- Food experiences
- Music and art experiences
CURRICULUM AND CLASSROOM:
The Montessori Toddler classroom has a range of stimulating educational materials available on low shelves so children can self-initiate work. The Montessori philosophy stresses respect for oneself, others and the environment. Work materials are organized and stored in ways that enable children to independently choose work, successfully complete the work and put the work back ready for the next person to use. A range of materials are available to the children so they may choose increasingly challenging work as their competency grows. This physical space arrangement helps build the child’s self-esteem by providing an environment that can successfully care for themselves with a minimum of adult intervention.
PART-TIME TODDLER PROGRAM
Toddler parents may also choose a 4 full day a week schedule. Students wanting 5 full days will be given priority enrollment over students looking for part time enrollment.
VISIT OUR CLASSROOM
Central Montessori Academy opened our Toddler program in August 2018. You are welcome to come visit the space and see a mock set up of the environment and hear more about the program. When you come for a tour you can see the structure of our Pre-Primary Classrooms (3-6 year olds) to get an idea of the Montessori environment. We offer a flexible tour schedule where you will get to visit each classroom and level.
Seeing the children work in their environment is priceless! The Montessori environment is alive with movement and filled with materials that are appealing and designed to meet the developmental needs of each child. The enrollment process consists of a tour, submission of an application, and then a home visit conducted by toddler staff members. This visits helps building a relationship with the child in a familiar space. Please call if you have any additional questions 513-742-5800.
Call or schedule a visit to learn more about our future program.